The Bride


The Bride
Dr Frankenstein awakens on his own work bench with the impression that a great deal of time had passed. He tries to look around but finds himself bound so tightly that he can only move his eyes.
It occurs to him, not for the first time, that he has been the architect of his own misfortune. If only had never gifted his accursed creature with life. If only he had simply acceded to its demands to fashion it a bride. But as his work on the female creature had neared completion he was seized by the certainty that he could not allow the them to spawn further generations of monsters. He threw down his instruments and refused to proceed any further. On reflection he should not have under estimated his  own creation. Despite it’s outward appearance it is no simple brute possessing  a keen intellect to match his inhuman strength and unnatural vitality.  While the Doctor had laboured the creature had observed, studying the very process by which he had been born into the world. When the Doctor refuses to cooperate further, threatening to destroy the work he had already done, the creature had not hesitated to strike him down.
“Help” he croaked his throat parched and his voice cracking “Somebody please help me.”
The only answer was a deep rumbling laugh.
“It’s alive, alive!” the creature mocked his creator “welcome back to the land of the living.  I am glad to see you making such a speedy recovery.”
“Recovery?” he groans “recovery from what? What have you done.”
By way of a reply the creature spins the table around and tilts it upwards so the Doctor can see himself in the cracked and corroded mirror propped in the corner. Except the figure in the glass was not the tall gaunt figure he was used to seeing when he shaved each morning.  Instead he sees a woman with pale skin and black hair. A dirty sheet protects her modesty but still outlines a figure that most women would regard with envy. Her face, even wide eyed with shock as it is, is possessed of an unsettling alien beauty that attracts and repels him in equal measure. He suppresses the need to scream as the strange alien sensations coming from his new body confirms the evidence of his eyes, the woman in the mirror is him.
“You, you monster” he gasps “How could you do this to me of all people?”
“Monster is it?” the creature taunts him “I am as you made me “father” the product of your great intellect and your overreaching hubris. You should be proud that I was able to complete the work you refused to finish. Even, at the risk of being immodest, surpassing you. Be happy that I have given you this opportunity to benefit from your own brilliance. I have gifted you with a body as far beyond base humanity as the one you created for me. One that will never know never know infirmity or the corruption of old age. You should thank me.”
“Thank you?” he almost shrieks “you fiend I should destroy you!”
He raise his hand his unnatural strength tearing away the heavy leather straps. He frees himself while the creature watches unconcerned. He raises a hand to strike it only for it to catch him easily.
“Release me!” Rages Dr Frankenstein  "let me go I say. I am your creator and I command you to to let me go!“

But the creature’s monstrous hand remains locked around his slender wrist as cold and as inescapable as the grave. He may have gain incredible power in his new body but as a mere female he is still no match for his creation.
“No the time for your commands is at an end” it informs him matter of factly “You proved yourself unfit to be my father and so instead you will serve as my bride. I will take what I want from you and in exchange you will fulfil your mad ambition to bring forth new life, albeit in a rather more conventional manner than you had intended. Fear not the recognition you so craved will be yours. Future generations will know the name of Frankenstein, mother of monsters” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spicing things up

Three Rules

Sudden Obsession